Barbie Fun with Feeling




This year I hadn't yet felt the need to go back to the cinema to see a movie (Avatar counts as the 22nd time I went if I also count the 23rd). I could have watched some, like Indiana Jones, multiple times, but due to the distance of the cinema, I often get discouraged. But not with Barbie: I even dyed my hair pink! During my second viewing, I sported a new hairstyle, although no one noticed. Instead of bringing a Barbie, I brought my Ken who, to be precise, is not exactly a 100% Ken, but Edward from Twilight, also by Barbie, and he felt very Kenough!


The Barbie movie did a little miracle: it kept Italian cinemas open during the summer and attracted many people. Despite a month having passed since the movie's release, there were still many enthusiasts, including me watching it for the second time. In Italy, there is the problem that during the summer people feel obliged to go to the beach, an uncomfortable and tiring place, instead of going to the cinema. Last year, cinemas were even closed during the high season, but not this year! It would have been crazy to close the doors to those who wanted to see Barbie, and that's why cinemas remained open!


I have already spoken extensively about the movie in the other review, so here I just want to praise the choreography of the entire film, not only the purely dance moments, but also how everyone moved in a playful, fun, precise, and captivating way. The film can also be considered a musical because there are many songs (subtitled in Italian) and some dance moments. Particularly memorable is the scene of the battles between the various Kens, during which Ryan Gosling sings "I'm just Ken" excellently and artistically. During the battle, there is also a ballet, a moment of pure dance taken from the film scene. Fantastic!


I was also ecstatic about the beginning, in which a Lizzo song "Pink" accompanies the entrance to Barbie Land. I was fascinated by how the Barbies moved inside Barbie Land, pretending to drink because there is no water, pretending to eat because there is nothing real to eat, pretending to be at the beach when there is no sand or water. In short, excellent and surprising.


Another historic moment is the nighttime party of all the Barbies with a choreographed dance, as Barbie defines it, to the rhythm of Dua Lipa's song "Dance the Night". Even that moment was choreographed and coordinated perfectly in every detail.


I strangely appreciated it when the human protagonist, Sasha, said that she was tired of having to try every day to please others. This statement struck me, sinking in, because I see how every day you really have to strive to live up to others, even on social media. It's not enough to be yourself, it's not enough to be satisfied with what you do or who you are, it's never enough. This message, given precisely and at the right time, gratified me because finally there is also a moral, not just an interesting film from the point of view of Barbie and all that they represent with their social problems, but also a moral without frills and straight to the heart.


I would go see it for a third time, but it's hard to find someone to accompany me!





Nessun commento:

Posta un commento